In 2017, I learnt to loathe the word goals and resolutions. Every year, I set goals that I want to achieve and I never do. Come December, the panic begins, and all of a sudden I’m filled with the anxiety of knowing that yet another year has flown past and have I really done anything of important with my life? Which is why you probably didn’t see me do any of those ‘list your achievements’ tweets on Twitter. It’s like I’m already setting myself up for failure; so how does one begin to tick those major things off the hastily made New Year’s resolutions list (maybe the hasty is part of the problem…)?
This year, I’ve started to think of what I want to achieve as aspirations, not goals. I want to aspire to get to a certain point. We often set ourselves up for direct failure, whether we realise it or not. At least this way, I know I have at least made an attempt, even if I don’t achieve that
MY 2018 ASPIRATIONS
- Read widely | Aside from the usual Goodreads Challenge, I’m going to take part in the Popsugar Reading Challenge. Popsugar host one every year, but I think the prompts for 2018 are particularly well put together, and I’m excited to start reading more out of my comfort zone.
- Be More Sociable | The problem with being an ambivert is that when you’re in new situations, it’s hard to break out. There’s been so many times I’ve passed on going to a book event or going out to explore my city simply because I’m afraid. It’s also hard in this 21st century world to make friends from scratch.
- Embrace My Inner Local Tourist | Technically Sydney isn’t where I grew up, and a year on, it’s still as elusive as it was when I first arrived. I’ve been wrapped in a bubble for so long, now that I have the time to explore, why not?
- Learn To Be Healthier | A few years ago, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. Hashimoto’s, a type of hypothyroidism, to be more specific. Since then, I’ve been terrible at managing it, but I want to do better. Be better. And getting my health in check is the only way I can do that.
- Eliminate Toxic Relationships For Good | While I’ve taken myself out of relationships that were giving me major anxiety and hurting me in the long run, I’ve learnt this past year that removing yourself is just one step. Eliminating them completely from your life is another. They’re always there, lurking in the back of your mind, and all of a sudden you find yourself on Instagram at 12am. Not this year!
- Jump On A Plane And Go Overseas | With the exception of a week in Scotland last year for a friend’s wedding, I haven’t been overseas in five years now and boy, do I have itchy feet. The wanderlust has kicked in, alongside the need for weather colder than 10C. I need snow!!
- Complete & Query A Novel | Note that I say a novel, not my novel. Because I’m torn between my YA dragon fantasy and the two #LoveOzYA contemporaries I’m currently plotting, so let’s see which one ends up finished first…
- Grow My Social Media Following & Blog | Blogging hard – there’s so many hours and effort that goes into it for what sometimes seems like very little return. I’d love to see this blog grow, especially on the Instagram side of things, but I think what I’m looking forward to the most is connecting with other bloggers as well – and sharing our passions.